Monday, May 9, 2011

Less is More

The first life principle Joel taught me when we were married is, It's better to have more than enough, than not enough. Although in certain cases this is true, like when you are having people over for dinner or planning a kids birthday party; It isn't always true when it comes to stuff. Over the past 7 and a half years we have moved a total of 9 times. I can tell you I pretty much HATE stuff. I've gotten rid of so many things over the years with each move and I can honestly say there was only a handfull of times that I look back and say "I wish I'd never gotten rid of that...". When we moved into this apartment it felt huge compared to the 2 bedrooms we were living in at my fathers house, but alas once it was filled with stuff it felt as though I was suffocating. We've been here 15 months and over that time I've let more go, but still...our stuff is breeding. I need to come up with a good plan on how to displace this stuff from my home on a regular basis. God has been instructing me on the art of contentment. It doesn't come naturally to me, I have to work at it quite often. Being content with my home, content with my clothes, content with the things, content with our finances, content with the toys my kids have...I don't want to waste my life wishing and hoping for the next new thing, the next bigger place, more room in my budget. I want to learn how to be content subtracting when what I really want is to add. Do I want more space? Subtract some stuff. More money in the budget? Subtract some spending. More time with the Lord to dig deep and grow? Subtract some sleep. I want to know this practice so well, that it finally just comes naturally to me.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I totally hear ya! It's so hard to live and be content with what we have... There is so much "Keeping up with the Jones'" that goes on. It's so hard not to jump right in with all of it. God is so faithful to us and always provides far more than we need. I wish it was easier to be content with it! I hear ya, sister! =)

We've Moved...

My blog, that is...You can find me over here ---> https://joyfulcontentment.wordpress.com/ I'm still working on getting things set...